My Musings

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Letters from Basic #4

Dear Sweetheart, February 11, 2007

Today is my first Sunday in the military. They offer religious services, but none of them are Baptist. They have a protestant service that I will be attending,


We got to sleep in today until almost 5:00 a.m. I had guard duty from 3:00 a.m. until 4:00 a.m. and then went back to bed for about an hour. Even with guard duty I got more sleep last night than any other night so far. So far, everything is very fun and I am making a bunch of friends.


We have been taking it easy today even more than yesterday. Valentine’s Day is coming up in just a few days and we are going to be apart. I love you and I miss you.


So far it seems like I am gaining the respect of most of the guys. Besides, I’m the one that got a ninety-eight on the ASVAB. I have the highest ASVAB score in my platoon.


We have been doing some crazy stuff during our free time. Some of the guys did upside down pushups. We did some two minute sit-ups and pushups drills. We sat around telling funny stories for awhile. I laughed until it hurt.


I just got back from the chapel services. They played some music that I didn’t really care for, but otherwise it was a great service. It made me really miss our church which then caused me to really miss you! A few of my platoon mates went with me and we all had a good time.


I tried to call you today, but it didn’t work out. I tried to use a phone card but is said that the PIN was invalid. I then tried to call collect but I know now that cell phones do not accept collect phone calls. I then tried to call Jim but their phone doesn’t accept collect calls either. Oh well, God know and he can take care of us.


Remember not to write me at this address. Save up your letters and mail them to the address that I give you later. I love you!


Well Baby, I love you. I know that I am writing you a lot, but I really do miss you. I love you and I miss you. I am reading my Bible and praying everyday. Don’t forget to send all your letters to me when I get my address. Please send me a phone card with a ton of minutes. Thanks babe, I love you!


With all my love,

Nicholas

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • Just surfed in on a random "next blog" click. It's like that box of chocolates!

    I see your husband is in his first days of basic training. I am sure you are very proud. He sounds like a good man.

    I went to basic in 1969. I remember the letters from home were like gold. Those drill sergeants purposely turn your world upside down. It's part of the program, but the notes from home can really calm the rough waters.

    You have a good idea here. I wish I had a record of my days in basic. He will enjoy seeing all you have done when he gets home and for years to come.

    We are all lucky we still have men like your husband in this country. His timing demonstrates he among an elite group. None of us would likely be here long without him, tell him thanks!

    I will keep an eye on your blog.

    Bill

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:30 PM  

  • I realize he won't be able to read this right away but...

    Good to hear someone with such a great attitude in Basic Training. You will not regret enjoying that hard work and late nights and all of the crazy things that you are forced to do. Even savor the moments of getting chewed out. You'll never forget this time. Keep a diary in case you do.

    God Bless

    Howard

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:30 PM  

  • Bill Thank you for you kind words. I will certain tell him thanks. I am so thankful for all of our soldiers.

    By Blogger Diane Cardot, At 5:31 PM  

  • Howard, I know that my husband is enjoying the hard work and late nights. He has wanted to do this since he was a teenager. I am sure that he is keeping a diary or a journal of all of his adventures.

    By Blogger Diane Cardot, At 5:33 PM  

  • Good to hear everything is going good we will keep praying for the both of you.

    With Love,
    Chris

    By Blogger Christopher Cline, At 10:17 PM  

  • Chris- Thanks for your prayers big brother. Praying that things are well with you family.

    With love your lil sis
    Diane

    By Blogger Diane Cardot, At 8:36 AM  

  • The letters are great to read. You are both in my prayers. I just found out though the recent BIMI Encourager that Nicholas also went to Camp BIMI. It looks like we went the same year but different weeks. It's a small world after all, huh?

    By Blogger Teacherbug, At 11:50 AM  

  • I am so glad that you are hearing from your husband regularly. I am glad that things are going well for him. I am sure that he is missing you like crazy as I am sure you are him too!!

    You are both in my prayers and thoughts daily!!

    By Blogger CindyMae, At 4:03 PM  

  • Oh he sounds so good! I know you miss him so much! I really appreciate the kind words from Bill and Howard for you.I am praying for both of you.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 2:04 AM  

  • may God keep you safe. glad you have someone special to love and be loved by. blessings!

    By Blogger nakedpastor, At 1:07 PM  

  • Thank you all for your prayers for myself and my husband. I am so thankful that I have someone as special as Nicholas that loves me and that I love him in return. I thank God daily for brining him into my life.

    By Blogger Diane Cardot, At 8:48 PM  

  • Well he sounds as though he is settling in. The wonderful grace of God at work yet again :-) My son will be going to boot camp at Parris Island in July - It's nice to read things he will be experiencing. God bless you, Diane. I'm praying for you and your husband. It won't be long before you are together again. Be encouraged!! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home