My Musings

Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Watchman Awards #8 - The Best Of 2007

Welcome back friends and bloggers. I do apologize that my Watchman Awards are a day late this week. I try to have them posted each Saturday, but here it is Sunday. I’m sorry.

I have spent the week exercising in an attempt to get ready for Basic Training. I leave on Feb. 6…only nine days away! Yesterday I ran eleven miles without stopping. It took me almost two hours, but I did it without stopping. I have been working back up to this kind of endurance running for the past month now and am finally beginning to get back into the shape I was in in High School. I ran six miles every morning before school during my senior year. I am a little sore but not nearly as much as I thought that I would be. I actually feel really good.

Some of my friends give me a hard time because I am so skinny. They wonder what kind of strength someone as thin as I am can have. Well, I’m not entirely sure, but I do know that I can push myself as far as anyone else can…if not farther. I am beginning to feel like I am in great shape again. I am actually looking forward to Basic Training. I have always been a glutton for punishment.

Anyways, here are this week’s awards. These three were easy winners. They are excellent articles and stories and I promise that you will be blessed if you take the time to read them. Have fun and God bless you all.

Oh…and don’t forget to write to me when I am in Basic Training. I will post the address on this blog when I get it. One friend of mine said that he was going to send me a letter covered with lipstick kisses and write "From Bob" on the envelope. Now that's just disgusting and none of you are allowed to do that!

1st. Says Simpleton: Evangelism On George Street - "I was a rating on an Australian warship. I was living a reprobate life. In a crisis I really hit the wall. One of my colleagues, to whom I gave literal hell, was there to help me. He led me to Jesus and the change in my life was night to day in 24 hours. I was so grateful to God; I promised God that I would share Jesus in a simple witness with at least 10 people a day. As God me strength I did that. Sometimes I was ill and couldn't do it, but I made up for the days I missed it at other times. I wasn't paranoid about it. I have done this for over 40 years. In my retirement years, the best place was on St. George Street where I saw hundreds of people a day. I got lots of rejections, but a lot of people courteously took the tract. In 40 years of doing this, I have never heard of one single person coming to Jesus until today."

2nd. Jackhammer: How Do You Know That? – “Somebody might be saying, “How do you know that? What about what you don’t know?” Well, that’s a fair enough question. How can anybody be so sure that they know anything? No one is omniscient. True and False. I’m not omniscient. If I didn’t have help, I would be totally ignorant. But I have a Friend Who is omniscient. He knows everything, and whatever I learn from Him, I can be sure it is true and right altogether. The Christian who trusts the Word of God has an anchor that keeps the soul steady on the restless sea of life. Knowing God. Fearing God. Obeying God. These are all foundational to knowing anything. The source of all knowledge is God, and the only way for ignorant man to be sure of any knowledge is for that man to fear, obey, know, and depend on God and His Word.”

3rd. The Good Report: Dying Testimony of an Atheist - “A minister, while traveling one day, was overtaken by a thunderstorm and took refuge in what was called a tavern. His attention was soon directed towards a man who seemed to be trying to entertain himself and others by using profanity in its lowest degree. He claimed to be an atheist, and blasphemed the name of God with unusual recklessness. Finally, while the storm was raging wildly, he said to those around him, ‘There is no God, and to prove to you that I am right about it, I will go out there on that little hill and dare Him to strike me with His lightning.’”

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • It is good that you are looking forward to basic training. I just finished my basic training two months ago. The biggest challenge is your peers and even those that will say that they are "Christians."
    Remember this: "Keep thy heart with all diligence: for out of it are the issues of life. Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee." Proverbs 4:23-24

    By Blogger NoHayNada, At 2:26 PM  

  • Hey Nicholas, thanks for the award!

    By Blogger Jeff Voegtlin, At 4:56 PM  

  • Bro. Jeff,

    I think that that makes two awards that you have won now. Keep up the good work over at your end of the blogosphere!

    By Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot, At 5:46 PM  

  • Bro. Juan,

    Thank you for the good word of encouragement. I will certainly be seeking to keep my heart as you so appropriately quoted in your comment. Where did you go to basic and what is your MOS?

    By Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot, At 5:47 PM  

  • Thanks for the award!

    By Blogger The Good Reporters, At 8:13 PM  

  • I went to basic to the same place that you will be going-Fort Benning. I was in BRAVO 347 and right now I'm at Fort Gordon because my MOS is 25B.

    By Blogger NoHayNada, At 10:32 AM  

  • Oh. Thank you.

    By Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot, At 4:22 PM  

  • Good Reporters,

    Don't mention it guys. I have been enjoying your series lately. Keep it up.

    By Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot, At 4:23 PM  

  • Thanks for the award! I realize that I'm a week late in saying this. That's what I get for not coming here more often!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:34 AM  

  • That's alright Ched. Thanks for stopping by and God bless you!

    By Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot, At 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home