My Musings

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Letters from Basic 2 & 3

Dear Sweetheart, February 9, 2007

I have not yet mailed my letter from yesterday so you will probably get them on or around the same time. I am dying of homesickness. I miss you and your loving touch so much. Being away from you only causes me to love you more tenderly. You are the greatest thing in life to me. I love you dearly.



When you receive my address there are a few things that I would like you to send me. If you would send me about five more zebra pens and more pictures of you. The pictures would be nice because I miss you a lot.


Basic is going great. Rather I should say that reception is going great. I got another shot today. I took a hearing and a vision test today. Oh yeah I also got my boots today which complete my uniform. I now have a nice United Stares Army uniform with my name on it. I wish you could see me know.


I’ve decided to start writing the date on the envelope so that we will know the chronological order of the letters as we save them.


So far I love it here but I love you more and I miss you a great deal. I look forward to getting some letters from you. I love you!


With all my love,


Nicholas


Dear Sweetheart, February 10, 2007


We have been relaxing for most of today. Today is Saturday and the Drill Sergeant said that we may be able to call home today. Please send me a phone card, please. One hour will probably be long enough to last me through basic.


During the week, breakfast is at 0500, that’s 5:00 a.m. to my beautiful civilian wife. Every day I have been eating a big plate full of eggs and bacon. I know that bacon is a pork product so don’t tell Jim! The food here is great. I have been eating eggs, jello, bacon, toast, pickled cucumber (they were really good), chili mac, fried chicken, hamburgers, spaghetti, French toast and a whole bunch of fruit. I have no complaints about the food.


There is a thirty-nine year old man who is joining the military and going through basic with us. He is probably going to have the hardest time of anyone here and yet he has the best attitude of anyone here. If he can do it without whining, then so can I.


I have been making a lot of friends. There are also a few guys that are not so friendly. Most of us are already developing a deep sense of friendship.

Last night, I had night watch for the first time. I had guard duty from midnight until one a.m. I slept on top of my covers because I didn’t want to have to make my bed in the morning. It would’ve worked except for one thing, I used my coat as a blanket. By morning it was very cold and I woke up all curled up in the fetal position trying to stay under the coat to keep warm. It was quite a sight!

We’ve been working on a lot lately on the Soldiers Creed. I like it so I will include it for you to read. I have to be able to quote it word for word.

I am an American Soldier.

I am a warrior and a member of a team.

I serve the people of the United States and live by the Army values.

I will always place the mission first.

I will never accept defeat.

I will never quit.

I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically, and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.

I always maintain my arms, my equipment, and myself.

I am an expert and a professional.

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an American Soldier.

Babe, I miss you and I love you! I am praying for you everyday and thinking of you always.

With all my love,

Nicholas

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Hey I guess that basic is too easy if you have time to screw around on the computer. I ought to know I am a Soldier.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:21 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Diane Cardot, At 5:40 PM  

  • As his wife I would like to thank you for serving our country as a fellow soldier. I am enjoying being able to post his letters on our blog. This allows our families and our friends to know how he is doing.

    By Blogger Diane Cardot, At 5:43 PM  

  • It's good to see that he's doing well.

    Hey don't sweat the pork. I knew guys in basic that ate like that and still lost weight because of the demands of training.

    Josh
    "...the word of God is not bound."
    --2 Timothy 2:9

    By Blogger C.T. Lillies, At 10:05 PM  

  • Thanks for checking on my husband. As for the pork it is a joke in our family as my father in law doesn't eat pork.

    By Blogger Diane Cardot, At 8:37 AM  

  • I can see his progress and how God is helping him through this! Continuing to keep Nicholas and you in my prayers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home