My Musings

Monday, August 13, 2007

Running, Reunion, and Relocation

So far, Washington D.C. has been great.  I have seen sights that I have wished for the opportunity to see since I was still in High School.  I have jogged down the Potomac River, I have experienced a D.C. style traffic jam, I have even seen a couple of the monuments.  I am so excited to be able to serve in the Army in Washington D.C. 

On Tuesday of last week, my squad leader decided that he wanted to run to the Jefferson Memorial and back while wearing our IBA's (Individual Body Armor).  This memorial is just over two miles from where we began running.  We ran down the waterfront of the Potomac River, under a gigantic bridge, and over to the memorial.  It was amazing!  We ran up and down the steps of the memorial for a while before heading back home.  Jefferson MemorialIt was an exhilarating workout.  We get to do the same type of PT as everyone else in the army except we get to do our PT up and down the streets of Washington D.C.

On Friday, I got my leave approved to drive home and get my wife.  My leave was scheduled to begin at 12:01 AM on Saturday Morning.  I stayed up Friday night and I signed out at exactly one minute past midnight.  I set out on a nearly fifteen hour trip that I would not stop on until I reached my destination.  I drank two Red Bulls, a Full Throttle, a couple Liquid Z's, and a five dollar Espresso from Starbucks.  I was doing everything that I could think of to stay a wake.  It was a difficult task. 

At around 2:45 PM, I finally arrived at my destination in Franklin Grove, IL and I wrapped my arms around my beautiful wife for the first time in just over ten days.  Seeing her was well worth skipping a night of sleep.

Today being Monday, we set out toward Kentucky where we plan to load up all of our stuff into a Uhaul truck.  On Wednesday, we plan to head back toward Washington.  Please continue to pray as we make this transition.  So far, God has been blessing us with safety and lots of joy and fun.  I praise Him for how good he is to us!

Thanks,

Nicholas Z. Cardot

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • We will keep on praying for your safe move to D.C.
    It sound's like you are really going to enjoy it there.
    We are very happy for you both and pray the Lord continue's to bless you both.
    Love Chris And Felice Cline
    P.S I started my blog back up but on word press check it out.
    http://baptistbrethren.wordpress.com/

    By Blogger Christopher Cline, At 10:03 PM  

  • Enjoy this time together but... get some sleep ,ok?

    By Blogger Rita Loca, At 2:14 PM  

  • Looks like the Maker has smiled on you. Good luck in DC, I hope you can stand the boredom. Have you been to the Library of Congress yet?

    Me, I'm already in theater with 1-505 PIR, 82nd ABN. Kudos from the sandbox,
    -Morin

    By Blogger Twycross, At 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home