My Musings

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Truth about Modern Tolerance

This quote was written over ten years ago, but it is the summation of the absolute frustration encountered by so many non racial persons accused of being racial or prejudice.

"Have you observed that in these decadent times, it is no longer enough to feel good yourself? Self-esteem is not enough. A sense of achievement is not enough. Dignity and self-respect are not enough. No, sir, not at all. Rather it has become the case that I cannot feel good unless you feel bad!

"I cannot feel good about being a woman unless you feel bad about being a man. I cannot e proud of being black unless you are ashamed of being white. I cannot respect myself for being gay unless you ae embarrassed that you are straight. Tolerance has been put by the boards; it is a stale and bitter thing and we will have none of it. Equality, likewise; it is condescending at best and in truth intended to demean. If I am to achieve the inner harmony and self-respect that is my due, it will not suffice for you and I to be equals. No! Nothing less that superiority will make me happy. And to ensure that I make my point, I shall commend your libraries to the flames, rewrite your histories, purge your dictionaries, and arm the thought police with power to enforce political correctness in all speech and apprehension. Oh, whole new vocabularies and crafty code words have they...

"...Those slinking worms of sophistry dared to carp at my using the word 'Indian,' sneering me bigot and boor for not using 'Native American,' which is as sly and snooty a racist neologism as was ever coined, implying that those of us sprung from generations of honest New England yeoman aren't real Americans..."

~ Scott Thatcher in Vertical Run by Joseph R. Garber

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home