My Musings

Friday, December 22, 2006

Mozilla Firefox - The Watchman's Preferred Web Browser

On the sidebar of my blog, you will notice a link to a unique web browser called Mozilla Firefox. I would like to take a few moments and explain why I am such an avid user and supporter of Mozilla Firefox. There are far more advantages to using the Mozilla web browser than I could name in one post. I have actually considered creating a blog devoted to the features of this outstanding tool. Perhaps during this post I might be able to convince you to give it a try!

Given the steady stream of security alerts associated with Microsoft's Internet Explorer, it should come as no surprise that many organizations and end users are actively looking at alternative browsers.

However, for many users Internet Explorer is so intricately bound with Windows and their experience of the Web that the idea of looking at an alternative fills them with dread. Primary questions are 'will installing a new browser break Windows?' and 'how many sites will break or stop working without IE?'

High on the list of alternatives is the open-source Mozilla Firefox browser, which has the advantages of being both free and under continuous active development. This review will look both at how Firefox compares to Internet Explorer and also whether there are actually any problems with it coexisting with Windows.

First, installation of Firefox is a breeze. Simply download it from the Mozilla Web site (www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/), double-click on the executable and off you go. The install process is straightforward and for users of IE it includes the option to import existing favorites and other settings.

You are prompted to make Firefox the default browser and that's it, ready to go. Note that installing Firefox does not uninstall the existing IE installation, which remains fully functional as before, even when it's no longer the default browser.

Once loaded, Firefox looks reasonably similar to IE, with the familiar toolbar for actions such as back, next, refresh page, plus an address bar, etc. In use the interface is similar to IE; there is very little to re-learn and what there is soon becomes second nature. However there are some important differences and some definite improvements.

First, and most immediately obvious, is that Firefox allows for tabbed browsing. This means that you can have multiple Web pages open in the browser, which uses a tabbed pane to switch between them. It means no longer having to clutter the task bar with multiple copies of the browser while looking at different pages.

This is only one of a number of improvements over IE's user interface, which is starting to show its age. File downloading becomes simpler, with the option of downloading files to a standard location, the functionality to pause downloads, housekeep downloaded files and so on. Perhaps my favorite feature, there is the ability to block images from websites that have less than desirable pictures on them.

The handling of favorites is also good, with the option to automatically track changes to favorite pages so that you can be alerted when a page is updated. Pop-up ad blocking is also included by default. It also has to be said that Firefox looks much nicer too, at least in my opinion.

While there are many other minor improvements these aren't enough to make a compelling case for switching unless Firefox plugs the security gaps that make IE currently very risky. First, Firefox doesn't load ActiveX controls, removing one major security weakness. Second, as recent experience has shown, security problems are patched more quickly than IE ones. Finally most malware targets IE simply because it's the most popular option, so switching to a different browser reduces risk immediately for this reason alone.

In practice most sites render in Firefox as they do in IE. In a few cases there are minor differences, but on the whole the actual experience is very similar. No problems were experienced in testing on banking sites, e-commerce or other Web applications.

Finally, to the vexed question of peaceful coexistence of Firefox and IE on Windows. The good news is that this too was a painless experience. With Firefox set as the default browser there were no problems on Windows 98, 2000 and XP. It was possible to use IE for those rare occasions when it was needed for ActiveX and to stick to Firefox for the rest of the time.

I don't often make product suggestions on my blog, but I am so thoroughly convinced that you will enjoy a better internet experience if you make the switch that I felt compelled to tell my readers. The product is entirely free and you will always have Internet Explorer still on your computer if for some strange reason you decide that you do not like Firefox. I have been using Mozilla Firefox for over two years now and would never even consider returning to Internet Explorer. If you join me, it won’t be long before you feel the same way!

9 Comments:

  • When using Windows, Firefox is the way to go, but when I use our Mac, Safari works great. The bottom line is that Macs are far superior to PC's.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:26 PM  

  • I have downloaded Firefox before and wasn't real sure about it....so I deleted it. I will check with my hubby and see if he will give the okay to switch. If you recommend it so highly then it must be a good one. So I'm gonna trust you on this one Brother!! LOL!!

    By Blogger Sis. Julie, At 9:56 PM  

  • Oh No another MAC user.
    (Just Kidding)

    By Blogger Christopher Cline, At 11:26 PM  

  • 'Zilla is great. Firefox has really solved a lot of issues for us and has made online work/play much more enjoyable.

    thx
    bg

    By Blogger Brad, At 4:14 AM  

  • I like Firefox b/c sometimes I have errors that screw up the layout of my blog on IE, but when viewed in Firefox it looks right. I wish everyone would use Firefox instead, so my blog wouldn't look stupid on days with html problems!

    By Blogger Stevie B, At 4:36 PM  

  • I was at Staples today and saw a windows platform that is designed to go on a Mac. I just thought that it was slightly funny. Thanks all for the comments.

    By Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot, At 5:26 PM  

  • I'm a big Firefox fan, as well. You might want to know that IE7 (although I have not used it yet, and don't really plan to) now includes tabbed browsing, and I believe pop-up controls as well. Gee, wonder where they got that idea!? LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:53 AM  

  • I am familiar with IE7 and am happy to report that you are quite right about the tabbed browsing experience and the more advanced pop-ups. The open source attribute has allowed Mozilla to continue to surpass IE in several ways. I will probably post again listing some of the ways that Firefox surpasses even IE7. For example, the ability to choose from thousands of extensions. That is an awesome attribute!

    By Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot, At 2:29 PM  

  • Another Mozilla user?My husband highly recommended that I use it after we got married and at first I wasn't sure but now I wouldn't use any other. I am required to use internet explorer when I am at work since they set the computers up for us.After a day at work I am so glad to go home and get on our computer so that I can use Mozilla. My favorite feature is the tabbed browsing so that I am able to switch back and forth without having to wait for a page to reload.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home