My Musings

Thursday, December 14, 2006

What If Christ Had Not Come?

As Christmas time has been quickly approaching, I have been thinking much about the birth of Christ. His birth was a miracle beyond anything that we could even begin to understand. It was a miracle in regard to its conception and design. It was a miracle in regard to the prophecy that it fulfilled. And most importantly to me personally, it was a miracle in regard to the ultimate effects that resulted from it…your salvation and mine!

It has been said that people never truly appreciate what they have in life until they are forced to go without it. People often never realize how much they loved or cared for someone until after that person is gone and they are forced to live life without that person. People often don’t appreciate their jobs until they are sent searching for work to pay the bills and provide for their families. People simply don’t appreciate what they have until they no longer have it.

I often think about what life was like before I met my wife. I think about what life would be like if anything happened to her and I lost her. Thinking about these things causes me to love her and appreciate her so much more in life right now. I do not want to wait until a good thing has been taken from my life to appreciate how good it was!

With these thoughts in mind, I decided to sit and imagine what it would be like if the birth of Christ had never occurred. I wanted to experience in my mind the predicament that I would be in had Christ not chosen to come to earth to redeem us. I invite you to join me as I explore a few of the things that would be different in our lives. Hopefully, if we take a few moments to ponder this seemingly silly question, we will grow in our love for Christ and in our appreciation for what he has done.

Keep in mind that Christ had no earthly reason to do what he did. He surrendered the glories of all heaven to live in flesh and die a worse death than any of us will ever endure. He was the king of all glory and we spat in his face and mocked him. He should have stayed in heaven and sentenced us to the eternity in hell that we truly deserve. He didn’t, however. His heart of love was stronger than anything we could have ever deserved or hoped for!

I encourage you to spend some time thinking about the many things that would be horribly different in our world, in our nation, in our families, and in our lives. Share with me some of the thoughts and ideas that you have on this subject. I want to hear from all of you! Tomorrow I will post the ideas that I come up with.

Think about every aspect of life that you can. Friends, nothing would be the same in our lives without Christ!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • Amen and amen Bro. Nicholas. You are so right about nothing being the same in our lives without Christ. I thank Him daily for the change He has made in my life. It certainly couldn't have been me making the change...yes I had to conform to His will in my life concerning those changes...but those changes would not have lasted like they have without Christ doing it in me as I submitted to His will in my life. Very good post Brother!!

    By Blogger Sis. Julie, At 11:52 PM  

  • Bro Nicholas very good post, I don't want to think about where I would be if Christ would not have come to die for me.I most likely would be in Hell. The Bible tells us we would be men most miserable. Christ is the world to me and I love him. People have asked how do you know there is a God I tell them because I know what he has done for me, I could not do for myself. Very Good Post. Thanks for leaving a comment on my site I check yours regularly from Mrs Julies site.
    Bro Tim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:38 AM  

  • Oh how poignant this was, Bro. Nicholas!!! Without Christ, I would be dead right now, burning in hell. :-( Praise the Lord that He submitted to His Father's will and came to take my punishment!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:07 AM  

  • Though my family is so very precious to me, without CHRIST, my life would not be worth living. "For to me to live is CHRIST..."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:50 AM  

  • Thank you all for your comments. Our lives would be quite different if Christ had not chosen to come to earth. Life certainly would not be worth living. Life would be, oh, so different!

    Thank you all and God bless you!

    By Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot, At 12:35 PM  

  • Nicholas this is a very good post. I don't want to think where my life would be today if Christ had not come. I would be on my way to an eternal hell with no hope of the future. This past Sunday at church they did a Christmas Cantata that was entitled If Christ Had Not Come. That was an awakening inside of me and your post has just reminded me yet again of all that I have to be thankful that Christ did come to earth for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:42 PM  

  • Great post. Thank God for His saving grace.

    By Blogger The Good Reporters, At 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home