My Musings

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Calling All Veterans!

I recently joined the United States Army and I leave for Basic Training on February 6, 2007...two weeks from today. I have in my contract the Airborne Ranger contract and will therefore me headed for Ft. Benning, Georgia for what is called "One Station Unit Training." At Ft. Benning, I will recieve my Basic Training, my Advanced Individual Training, my Airborne School, my Ranger Indoctrination Program, and eventually my Ranger School. I will be at Ft. Benning for a while.

Since I joined, I have enjoyed the advice and memories of many men who have served in the United States military. If you have ever served in the military, I would love for you to share with us the dates of your service time, any memories that you might like to share, and some of the advice that you might offer to a young man getting ready to go in. If you have not personally served in the military, but one of your friends or loved ones has, please tell me about when they served, in which branch of the military, and what they did.

I know that the lifestyle will be quite different from anything that I have been used to in the civilian world and I am therefore trying to prepare myself as much as is possible both physically and mentally. Physically, I am running about five miles a day, doing sets of sit-ups every day, and doing sets of pushups on the hour every other day. Mentally, I am reading as many books about the military as I can and trying to get as much information and advice from men who have already gone before me in this venture. If you can offer any help in this regard, please do. Thank you in advance.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<$I18N$LinksToThisPost>:

Create a Link

<< Home