My Musings

Saturday, May 24, 2008

My Testimony: Looking Back At The Grace of God (Part 2)

The man knocked on our door and introduced himself as Pastor Brad Cranston. He was the pastor of a church that was recently started and was meeting at the local community college on Sundays and in his home on Wednesdays. The church was an Independent, fundamental, KJV only Baptist Church. He invited us to church and we started attending in the next few weeks.

On August 22, 1992 Pastor Brad Cranston came into our home and led me through a prayer in our living room. I didn’t get baptized right away because we had to go to another church to use their baptistery. In October of 1992 Heritage Baptist Church was established and I was a part of the founding day. I remember signing the member roll.

For a while my pastor worked a second job to support his family and the small congregation. I can remember going to church and it was the pastor’s family, my family and a hand full of others. One of the jobs my pastor did on the side was to be a substitute bus driver. The year that I was in third grade we were required to take swim lessons at the local high school. I can remember being ashamed that he would see me not in a skirt like he did at church but in shorts or pants. I used to try to use my backpack to cover it up so that he couldn’t see. Little did I know that it was the Holy Spirit working on me to convict me about my dress standards.

While helping in the nursery one Sunday morning a lady in the church asked me if I wore dresses all of the time. I said no and went about my day. It was a question that I couldn’t get out of my mind. I can remember surrendering to God in this area of my life. I went home from church and told my mom that I didn’t want to wear pants anymore but that I only wanted to wear skirts and dresses. My mom said ‘ok’ and she went to my closet and she removed all of the pants and shorts that I owned. She removed the temptation from me after telling me that once I made the decision there would be no turning back. This is a decision that I do not regret as I believe that this is God’s will.

To Be Continued on Tuesday...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home