My Musings

Friday, May 23, 2008

My Testimony: A Look Back at the Grace of God (Part 1)

I have been in church almost every day of my life since I was born. I attended Riverside Baptist Church until I was about three years old. Sometime before I turned three my mom came home from work to find another woman leaving her house. This woman was having an affair with my biological father. As a result, my mom and my biological father were divorced sometime before I was three.

Shortly after, my mother married Gary, now my stepfather, on the day after Christmas in 1986. Gary took on the role of a father to my older brother Dean, who would have been 10, and to me. He loved us as if we were his own children. At the time that they were married, Gary had three children of his own living with him. He also had four other children, one whom he had adopted.

We attended the First Southern Baptist Church from 1986 until the summer of 1992. The Southern Baptist Church did preach salvation, however they did not believe in standing for the King James Version or in a biblical separation of dress.

Each summer the church had what was called ‘backyard bible school’. This was very similar to Vacation Bible School which many of you are very likely familiar with but instead of taking place at the church it took place in the home of a church member. One summer I must have made a confession of faith buy I don’t remember it. What I do remember is being baptized. The baptistery was huge it was the size of a small swimming pool or at least it seemed like it to me.

In July of 1992 I was standing in the kitchen talking to my mom and dad. My older brother Chris was present there as well. We looked out the window and saw a man walking down the street wearing a white shirt. We had a lot of Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormons that knocked on our doors growing up. We all assumed that this man was from one of these two churches. I remember someone saying that they needed to go get one of our church tracts to give to him. Little did we know that this man would have a huge impact on my life personally.

To Be Continued Tomorrow...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home