My Musings

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Made to be His Help Meet

As a little girl, I dreamed about one day meeting my prince charming and being swept off my feet the same as any other little girl. I dreamed about what he would look like. I wanted someone that was tall with dark hair and very handsome. I dreamed about him riding off into the sunset with me on a white horse, or whatever else I might fantasize the perfect get away ride would be.

I planned every detail as a little girl from the perfect groom, the bridal party, the flower girl, the ring bearer, my dress, the colors and the cake. I can remember having my maid of honor picked out when I was probably 9 or 10. I really thought that she would be my maid of honor. We were inseparable for many years.

As I got older, I used to wish that I would marry a soldier. It didn’t matter to me what branch. I just loved the fact that they served our country to protect the freedoms that God has given us and not to mention that there’s something to say about a man in uniform.

I realized growing up that God was preparing me to be a helpmeet someday. As a young girl, in your teenage years and even in your young adult life there are things that you must learn to do and decisions that you have to make in your spiritual life.

As a child you need to learn to clean up after yourself. You need to learn how to clean a house. As a young girl I would say that I kept my room like a pig pen. It didn’t bother me until I was about 8 years old I guess when my dad came into my room with a camera and took pictures of my room. He told me that he was going to show them to my future husband someday to show him how I was going to keep our house when we were married. I can remember crying as he took the pictures. However that day I changed my room keeping habits and to this day I can’t stand for my house to be a mess. I love cleaning and I clean something in my house every single day.

Some of you may have learned to sew. This is a very important and practical skill that all ladies young and old can learn. My mother taught me to sew and I have made several articles of clothing in my time. My only regret is that I didn’t take to it the same way that my younger sister has. There are some things to do with sewing that I tend to avoid just because I am scared to try them it was easier to get mom to do them and now that she’s not here I just skip them or find a pattern that doesn’t require me to do them.

Cooking can be a very touchy subject. I know many ladies that do not know how or enjoy cooking and their families eat out all of the time. I have a very dear friend to me and she doesn’t cook all that well but she makes an effort even though her husband is a chef. I learned to cook for 7 people and when I got married it was an adjustment.
As a young girl, in your teenage years and even in your young adult life there are things that you must learn to do and decisions that you have to make in your spiritual life.
I wouldn’t say that I am the world’s greatest cook but I have learned to cook fairly well and am constantly trying new recipes.

God used my brother to help prepare me for marriage in these areas of my life. He also used sound biblical preaching to ground me in his word. I was convicted and made the decision at a young age to save myself for my husband. To not touch, kiss or have any sort of premarital relations with a man. Those of you who know me know that I had some examples of how not to live my teenage years like no boyfriends, no pre-marital sex, no kids out of wedlock, graduate and go to a bible college for at least a year. By God’s grace I was able to make it to my wedding day pure.

All of these things helped prepare me to be the helpmeet that my husband needs today. I can think of the things from my childhood dreams that came true by serving the Lord and allowing him to work in my life. I have my tall, dark haired, handsome man and to top it off he is also currently a soldier. I got my man in uniform. I love my husband and I know that he loves me.

Ladies when we get married we are designed to be his helpmeet. The lord starts preparing us in our childhood to be the helpmeet that our husbands need. As mothers God uses you to help train your daughter to take care of her husband. We are to love and support him in every area of his life.


Serving the Master,

Diane

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home