My Musings

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

This Too Shall Pass

One day when I was about five or six, my brother, Chris, and I were playing across the street at the neighbor’s. The man who owned the house was an elderly gentleman and his grandkids did not live in the area so he allowed our family to play in his huge yard. Chris was chasing a baby squirrel around the yard and got the notion in his head that he could catch it. I don’t know what he was going to do with it once he caught it but he was determined to grab that squirrel. I was running around when all of a sudden I heard Chris say “Diane, stand still.” So I stopped where I was and watched him as he chased the squirrel.

All of a sudden the squirrel was headed straight for me. What to do? Should I move or stand still like my older brother told me? I decided to stand still. I stood still and that squirrel ran straight up my leg. One minute I was standing there all calm and the next I was scared to death, screaming to get the squirrel off my leg and shaking my leg hysterically to get it off. I don’t know how long it took to get the squirrel off my leg but it seemed like an eternity at the time and it wasn’t funny at all. As I look back now, however, that is one of the funniest childhood memories that I have. I’m not sure if Chris even remembers this but I suppose that since I am publishing this I will soon find out.

Many times in our Christian lives while we are going through what seems like a dark time, we feel scared to death and want to scream just like that little girl that I was that day. We feel that there is no hope and no good that will come out of a troubled time. We often feel alone and that there is no one going through the pain with us.
“What time I am afraid I will trust in thee.” ~ Psalm 56:3
We must remember to put our trust in the Lord and not rely on ourselves during the difficult times!

The dark time will pass. It may be days, months or even years before we can look at that trial where we felt so scared and wanted to scream but we will be able to see that the Lord was there guiding us through. We may even be able to laugh at it when we realize that it really wasn’t that big of a deal.
The bible tells us that “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.” ~ Proverbs 17:22
Don’t go through your life full of misery and lack of trust in God!


For His Cause,

Diane Cardot

*****

Author Info: Diane Cardot is the wife of the founder of The Baptist Muse.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home